Quotes from "The Mahatma Letters"

Sep 24, 1995 07:22 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Following are some quotes from "The Mahatma Letters", third edition.
I've followed each quote with a short comment. The quotes and comments
are arranged in the form of a discussion, following a certain theme of
thought, rather than outlined as a "proof", with each comment of mine
exactly mirroring the preceding quote.

-- Eldon

"From first to last every sphere has its world of effects, the passing
through which will afford a place of final rest to each of the human
principles -- the seventh principle excepted." [73]

Our seven (or twelve) globes are the spheres of causes. Each has its
sphere of effects, which follows its. We leave behind our six lower
principles in the spheres of effects as we leave our globe behind in
the after-death states.

"The worlds of effects are not lokas or localities. They are the
shadow of the world of causes, their souls -- worlds having like men
their seven principles which develop and grow simultaneously with the
body." [71]

The worlds of effects are the states of consciousness that we go
through as we drop our lower principles. There are not a "place" in
the sense of something objective, external to our own subjective states
of consciousness.

"Thus the *body* of man is wedded to and remains for ever within the
body of his planet; his individual *jivatma* life principle, that which
is called in physiology *animal spirits* returns after death to its
source -- *Fohat*; his *linga shariram* will be drawn into *Akasa*; his
*Kamarupa* will recommingle with the Universal *Sakti* -- the
Will-Force, or universal energy; his "animal soul" borrowed from the
breath of *Universal Mind* will return to the Dhyan Chohans; his sixth
principle -- whether drawn into or ejected from the matrix of the Great
Passive Principle must remain in its own sphere -- either as part of
the crude material or as an individualized entity to be reborn in a
higher world of causes." [71-72]

Our principles are dropped in the after-death states. They are, in a
sense, our Shandhas, and return to their elements as the fabric of our
personal consciousness unravels. We are leaving behind our conscious
Globe D self, first in the lower principles, then in the higher ones.

"The seventh will carry it from the *Devachan* and follow the new *Ego*
to its place of re-birth." [71-72]

The highest of our Atmic consciousness is universal, and carries over
to the next Globe, or around the Globes to an immediate rebirth on
Globe D.

"... there are great varieties in the Devachan states, ... And it is
that variety which guides the temporary personal *Ego* into the current
which will lead him to be reborn in a lower or higher condition in the
next world of causes." [100]

The "next world of causes" is either Globe E, or a return to Globe D,
after a quick passage of the Globes without a stopover on any of them.

"... no sensual, material or unholy recollection can follow the
purified memory of the *Ego* to the region of Bliss. The Karma for
these recollections of evil deeds and thought will reach the Ego when
it changes its *personality* in the following world of causes." [102]

As we progress in our after-death states, and successively drop the
lower principles, the relatively evil and gross consciousness of them
departs us, and eventually we are at a level that is that of bliss.
When we subsequently clothe ourselves in our seven principles
appropriate to either Globe E, if we go on to it, or back again on
Globe D, we then become subject to that part of ourselves again.

"these *seven* groups ... form the principle divisions of the Dwellers
of the subjective world around us" [105]

The sphere of effects about our Globe D has seven classes of dwellers.

(1) "Rupa-devas" -- Dhyan Chohans, having forms; Ex-men.
(2) "Arupa-devas" -- Dhyan Chohans having *no* forms; Ex-men.
(3) "Pisachas" -- two-principled ghosts.
(4) "Mara-Rupa" -- Doomed to *death (3 principled).
(5) Asuras -- Elementals -- having human form; Future Men.
(6) Beasts -- Elementals -- 2nd class -- animal Elementals; Future men.
(7) Rakshasas (Demons) Souls or Astral Forms of sorcerers ... [104-05]

This is both where the Dhyani-Chohans, men in their after-death states,
the "psychic corpses" of men, the elementals, and sorcerers dwell. We
would also find here the Mahatmas and Nirmanakayas.

"... in enumerating the seven lokas of the "Kama-Loka" ... Every such
"world" within the Sphere of Effects has a Tathagata, or "Dhyan Chohan"
-- to protect and watch over, not to interfere with it." [105]

There are various "worlds" within the sphere of effects. Each has its
own ruling Dhyan-Chohan and therefore "laws".

"... there are two fields of causal manifestation, to wit: the
objective and subjective. So the grosser energies, those which operate
in the heavier or denser conditions of matter manifest objectively in
physical life ... The moral and spiritual activities find their sphere
of effects in "Devachan." [188]

The moral and spiritual energies of our consciousness work themselves
out in the sphere of causes. The physical energies work out in the
sphere of causes, on our physical Globe D. We are engaged in moral and
spiritual activities both while alive, and in working them out when
dead. This implies we are active in the subjective spheres about it
even during life.

"And this "dream" lasts until Karma is satisfied in that direction, the
ripple of force reaches the edge of its cyclic basin, and the being
moves into the next area of causes. This, it may find in the same
world as before, or another, according to his or her stage of
progression through the necessary rings and rounds of human
development. [189]

In our after-death states, we work out the unspent energies in each of
our higher, non-physical principles. When that energy is spent, we are
drawn into rebirth in the next sphere of cauess that is appropriate to
us.

"You postulate an intercourse of entities in Devachan which applies
only to the mutual relationship of physical existence. Two sympathetic
souls will each work out its own devachanic sensations, making the
other a sharer in its subjective bliss, but yet each is dissociated
from the other as regards actual mutual intercourse. For what
companionship could there be between two subject entities which are not
even as material as that ethereal body-shadow -- the *Mayavi-rupa*?
[195]

In the sphere of effects, we don't share with others the "mutual
relationship of physical existence." There is no companionship with
others as we know it.