Re: From the spring to the pond

Sep 23, 1995 12:26 PM
by Lewis Lucas

John,

 Thanks for another glimpse into your world. Could I add a few
comments?

Lewis

 JRC:
> perhaps if we occaisionally spoke of those many parts
> of ourselves that are deeply important to us, yet not necessarily
> overtly "spiritual" there might be far better communication
> between us about intellectual things. We are all far more than
> just our ideas, but such a large amount of who we are is lost
> when we use this medium (the Internet) that it is easy to forget
> that only certain fragments of our prisms can be refracted though
> cyberspace - perhaps a bit of gushing about the magnificence of a
> hike, the tenderness in a friendship, or the accomplishments in
> our (often seemingly) mundane jobs, would serve to humanize this
> medium ... to make it easier to remember that we are not all just
> ideas that are either clashing or in harmony, but whole humans
> who travel the path with the entirety of our beings.

Lewis:
 I agree with you that this medium does a lot of filtering, but as
Brenda pointed out that can also work in a positive way. Our biases
and prejudices don't have as much opportunity to distort our
perspective. You are right though in suggesting this medium needs
humanizing. One of theosophy's gifts to me was the idea that the
entirety of my being was not just my body, emotions or thoughts. I
did was not a body with a soul to save, but a soul with bodies in
training.

JRC:
> Yes, and I wonder what Art thinks of this (since he is
> reading Emerson so fully). I believe it is far more than simply
> coincidence that almost every renowned mystic and prophet
> recorded in history has spent at least some, if not considerable
> amounts of time in huge, open natural places.

Lewis: Having moved from Chicago to foothills and mountains of
northeast Georgia a few years ago, I can relate to the sense of
peaceful power one finds in nature.

JRC:
> There are, I think,
> whole ranges of awareness available in nature that just aren't
> among concentrations of human populations. (I would start
> mentioning a few reasons for this related to clairvoyant
> observations, but maybe 'tis best to let that rest for a bit(-:).

Lewis: Hope you don't wait to long as I am very interested in
hearing more about this and would be grateful for any glimpse into
that world you would care to share.

JRC:
> A couple of things might be worth mentioning here (can't help
> it - because I work some of the time for a wilderness
> organization and do a considerable amount of writing about the
> wilderness experience (-:).

Lewis: Are you familiar with Tom Brown's work? He hasn't published
several books, the first of which was "The Trakker." His philosophy
seems very theosophical.

JRC:
> The foundation for a universal family, the bond needed to tie
> such a thing together, does not need to be created ... but rather
> *revealed* - and for some strange reason, the larger the
> concentration of people, the more that sensation recedes into
> unconsciousness ... leading even the most minor differences to
> loom enormous, while surrounded by the enormity and beauty of the
> natural world, that bond of its own accord seems to unfold itself
> gently, but so strongly that *all* differences, however great,
> become of secondary relevance.

Lewis: Interesting idea. It occurs to me that maybe we should send
people to the woods instead of to prison, and our politicians be
required to "retreat" with them instead of feeding on the mistrust,
fear, and supicion fostered by the seperation of the personality from
consciousness of this foundation.

 llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu