Re: Art: Group Project Question 1

Sep 22, 1995 08:11 AM
by Lewis Lucas

Art wrote:
> ...The work did what any classic should do and that is to point you
> back to the experiential ground of your life with a renewed
> understanding.

Lewis:
 I know it was me who recently called attention to the importance
of experience, but I was listening to a song by Jimi Hendrix on the
radio called "Are you experienced." It is talking about his LSD
experiences in the '70's. That raised a question in my mind about the
value of experience--their quality and not just their quantity. I
would be interested in your thoughts.

> Leeuw: "Secondly, the word has been used in an early theosophical manifesto
> as "the archaic system of esoteric wisdom in the keeping of the brotherhood
> of adepts."
>
> Art: This I am only beginning to understand and can't comment definitively
> except to say that I am a bit concerned about the hidden tonality of the
> esoteric tradition. I am not at all the sort of person who gravitates
> toward what Blavatsky calls "blinds" etc.

Lewis: I am confused. Aren't "blinds" a very useful window cover?:)

> I am not at all oriented toward
> hierarchy but believe in a sort of participatory democracy of the spiritual
> life in which there are those who are advanced but they are not in any
> sense authoritarian or intrinsically superior to others.

Lewis:
 One of the things which impressed me about the Mahatma letters
was their humility. "The mark of wise man is a humble man" the old
adage goes. What I get from my theosophical studies is confirmation
of the *intrinsic* worth of each individual, the necessity for each
of us to become the path (*participate* in the spiritual way of life),
and to respect others paths as each approaches from a unique position
in life (their *authority* over their lives).

 I would like to suggest that the Mahatmas are not the culprits,
but only the chagrined recipients of the adulation heaped upon them
by those who were impressed (and rightfully so, I think) by their
wisdom, humor, and compassion.

 It seems to me sometimes we complain to much about heirarchy and
authority, as if it were some shackle forced upon us. Might it be us
and not them who create these heiarchies and give Them their
authority. As we become more centered, stronger, knowledgeable
doesn't the need/desire for outside authority atrophy? Maybe we are
railing against a natural law which has its place in the scheme of
things, but falls away or diminishes because (to paraphrase another
of J.J. van der Leeuw's works) we are all gods in the becoming.

 If we accept HPB, the Mahatmas, Jesus, or some other teacher as
an authority it is, in part, a recognition by us of Their valuable
experiences. As children we often look up to our parents and other
adults for guidance and support until we grow strong and wise enough
to support and counsel others.

 llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu