some suggested discussion guidelines

Sep 17, 1995 10:15 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Following are some assorted ideas that I've been thinking
about when communicating with JRC. Perhaps, with some
enhancements, they could form some optional guidelines for
discussing Theosophy. (I'm trying to describe here something
that I find myself tending to follow, and not asserting these
are rules that we all have to follow.)

* Don't attack someone with natural-born psychic faculties
 for exploring them.

* Do not pass judgement on people involved with the psychic.

* Defend the core concepts of Theosohpy against people that
 deny any value to them or deny that they exist.

* Openly describe the spiritual-intellectual path of study
 and defend its value and approach as something different
 than the psychical, and equally real.

* Keep clear the distinction between individual views and
 a balanced description of the core concepts.

* Ask questions and state my own views in response to things
 that I disagree with. Don't flatly say "that's wrong" or
 attach someone's motives for saying something.

* Don't try to banish people with views that I don't like,
 either "off the list" like has been suggested with Daniel
 and his biblical writings, or "to theos-roots siberia,"
 with historic discussions. We can not read postings that
 we don't like without any prior form of censorship. If
 we're posting something on a sensitive topic, we can label
 it at such in the subject line.

-- Eldon