Re: Eldon on Politics in the AT

Sep 08, 1995 04:03 PM
by Richtay

Jerry: "I have a hard time swallowing the idea that she gave us a clear and
well-defined path to tread. In fact, I have found very little that she
offered us as a path. "

You can't be serious?

There is the VOICE OF THE SILENCE, which is pretty explicit in its
directions, and LIGHT ON THE PATH, which she didn't write personally, but HPB
indicated that it was dictated by a Master, and judging from the contents, I
would say it strikes me that way too.

The "laundry list" for chelas is not just for officially accepted chelas, but
for all of us who would like to enter into contact with the Masters. Things
like not touching people or animals are probably not helpful at our stage,
granted, but many of the other requirements are certainly within our grasp,
if we try.

HPB's articles talk about abortion and suicide and meditation and food, and a
hundred other practical things. She warns against many things, like exoteric
Christianity, hypnotism and selfish thinking, and she reinforces many things,
such as the pursuit of wisdom as a path in itself (JNANA-Yoga).

We also can't forget that HPB had a partner in the work for the public, a
founder of the T.S. from the beginning, an accepted chela of K.H., someone
HPB called "my best and ONLY friend," her representative in America and the
Head of the Esoteric Section after her death: that person was William Q.
Judge. HPB called his magazine in America ("the Path") the Buddhi of the
movement, while hers was the Manas ("Lucifer").

When you take Mr. Judge's writings with HPB's, there is an even more
rounded-our practical path. Mr. Judge teaches about applying such ideas as
karma, reincarnation and cycles universally and practically in daily life.
 He speaks of concentration, meditation and will, and he gave us the
Bhagavad-Gita in great translation for meditation and study. He laid out
lines of work for Theosophical branches, and lines for work that bring one
closer to the Adepts. He was the epitome of the perfect student, and that
was perhaps one of the primary reasons he was sent to us, as a role model for
us who are the students of HPB.

If these two parts of the Theosophical teachings aren't practical and laying
down a path (which granted is personal and tread in individual ways) I guess
I don't know what "practical" means. For me, it is not an intellectual path
most of the time, but a minute-by-minute consideration of my dharma or duty,
and an acceptance of karma or conditions. What is the best, most spiritual
way to be and to work when we accept where we find ourselves? How can we
best serve humanity, and approach the state of the Masters? Because as HPB
indicates, we can't expect to drag Them down to our level, we need to raise
ourselves up to Theirs, where we can have free and unhindered intercourse
with that Divine source of strength and insight.

Rich