Re: "source teachings"

Sep 07, 1995 10:30 AM
by LIESEL

Dear Rich,

To me, "tradition" is synymous with "fossil". Let me name a few
traditions: a man doffs his hat when he goes to church, a woman
leaves hers on; Islamic women cover themselves from head to toe
except for their eyes; very Orthodox Jewish men don't shave, &
the women wear whigs; anyone who isn't baptized goes to hell;
widows jump on the husband's funeral pyre; the practice of Hari
Kiri. If you want to believe in tradition, that's ok with me,
but leave me out of it, & since I'm also a Theosophist, please
be so kind as to leave space for me & my kind in your narrow
traditionalist outlook.

I don't know how it is in the Absolute, but I've been taught, &
I believe, because it makes sense to me that, in manifestation,
both nature & truth evolve. To me, It's again like the story of
the blind men who each is touching a different part of an
elephant & each one is getting a different impression of what
an elephant is like. The whole elephant is the absolute, of
which human beings can only see part. I don't think I can see
the whole, the absolute Truth. Maybe you can.

Namaste
Liesel