re CWL and Mars

Sep 05, 1995 10:45 PM
by Lewis Lucas

Jerry E-H wrote:
> Do you feel that I'm being unfair?

Lewis:

 I'd characterize it as a different way of thinking. In my own life
I have told lies (although, I strive to be truthful now, as a young
person I was more inclined to lie if it meant angering a parent, for
instance). Should some of these lies be brought to your attention now
would that invalidate all I have ever said or done? I am suggesting
that CWL should be read with as open a mind as one is capable
of...realizing that we all have some bias or prejudice. To demand
that others be always consistent with the views expressed by
themselves or others seems unreasonable to me. I would not be
inclined to discount all that Mark Furman has said because he lied
about some other things. I find his behavior *understandable* but do
not condone it.
 My son is a police officer in Atlanta and has made comments to me
which I consider racist. It always dismays me, and I never let them
go by unchallenged. I see in them the influence of the culture he has
immersed himself in (that being the police and military
establishments). I try not to ridicule him, but suggest other
possible motives or reasons.
 If you are saying there are no civilizations on Mars, CWL either
was lieing or deluded, and we cannot take anything else he said
seriously, then I would disagree. If I were so inclined, I doubt that
I would find much in theosophy which would be "acceptable" to me
since much of it contradicts the material sciences. While I cannot
prove to others that what he wrote about is true, I also cannot prove
them wrong either. I found his material extremely interesting and
thought provoking, which all I could ask of any writer.

Jerry E-H:
> ...Also, CWL claimed to be an
> Adept,

Lewis:

 While I have read many of CWL's books, I don't recall him ever
making such a claim. On the contrary, it my recollection is one of a
humble and cautious writer who encouraged his readers to question and
investigate these things for themselves.

> ...so according to his own definition, he would be above
> having these time problems that you are suggesting.

Lewis:
 Maybe the problem here is one of definition. I thought another
post had pointed out that even adepts are not infallable while
operating on the lower planes in nature.

> ...Also, his
> description suggested that they were literate and read books
> etc., thus would have kept track of time. If he doesn't read
> Martian, he could always look at the planetary positions. On the
> other hand, if his clairvoyant observations are subject to being
> indeterminably in the past present or future, and we have no way
> of knowing which, then of what value are they?

Lewis:
 Here I would agree with you. I see little value in his Martian
observations.

> Another explanation I heard once was that the cities are
> there exactly as CWL described, but the Martians did not wish to
> be seen so they created a mayavi over the Viking cameras so that
> they would only record desert.

Lewis:

 HPB describes an incident in which she bets a rickshaw driver he
cannot find the house he had just taken her to. She, too, believed
that it was possible to hide from view places.

> In the end, I think we have to be
> aware as to when we are seeking a rational explanation, and when
> we are reaching for explanations in order to justify a belief
> that we don't want to let go of.

Lewis:

 This is a good point and I will try to keep it in mind.

 llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu