Re: On the head of a pin ...

Sep 04, 1995 06:45 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Murray:

>>JRC:
>>I do not in any way universalize my
>>experiences ... and am not making any claims that I am telling
>>the "truth" about the angelic realm in any absolute sense.
>>
>> Eldon:
>> One can take the approach of writing from personal experiences, and
>> never to universalize. Another may be writing about a broad philosophy
>> that is universal in nature, that describes the general patterns of
>> life. The two approaches are almost like speaking in different
>> languages, and from one standpoint the other would have to be rejected.
>> Again, taking the "personal experience" approach is contrary to
>> working with an elaborate philosophical framework.
>
>Eldon, I think you are overdoing the distinction between these two
>approaches, here.

Your're right. I've been a bit too "either or" in my description of
the two approaches.

>The particular is an instance of the universal, and I would see no
>conflict in using examples of personal experience in a consideration of
>the universal, as long as the difference was kept clear. In fact, it's
>essential to look at both, to keep them both on track.

Yes. We need both the universal, the philosophical basis of life, and
the constant reality checks afforded us by personal experiences.
We should neither discount the personal experiences nor throw out the
philosophies and go only by personal experience. Both are needed.

>To my mind, JRC's comment shows that he had the difference entirely
>clear, and was taking care to avoid careless extrapolation or the power
>game of saying "This is what I saw, so this is how it is - for all of
>you!"

My impression was that he was making it clear that he was not attempting
to generalize his understanding of angels, and present it to us as an
universal truth. I was perhaps reacting to something I remembered reading
before -- perhaps incorrectly? -- where he spoke of having rejected various
philosophies and concerned himself with the more direct approach to truth
of personal experience.

-- Eldon