re: William Q. Judge

Sep 03, 1995 07:49 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Ann:

>>In all these areas, we as Theosophists have to think completely for
>>ourselves. We can take the principles we've learned -- analogy,
>>correspondence, unity, pairs of opposites, etc. and try to apply them, but
>>here, a hundred years after the Founders' death, we are really left to our
>>own resources in so many ways.
>
>Isn't it about time we think for ourselves? We can't from here to there on
>somebody else's theosophical, metaphysical, esoteric or philosophical
>coattails.

That's precisely what the training and study is about. And it's also why
I like reading Purucker, because he doesn't always come out and say things
directly, but talks around them, hints at them, and leads the student to
think the idea first themselves. An idea is much more part of ourselves if
it originates within, rather than coming to us by way of our eyes or ears.
And the higher Mysters cannot be imparted by simple telling things. The
necessary conditions are required of the neophyte, the necessary state of
readiness, and the student ends up teaching himself.

There's still a distinction here about what we can know or come up with on
our own, apart from any help from Teachers or those who have gone on before
us. We can be self-taught and come up with things that are appropriate to
ourselves, as we are now, Fourth Rounder humans. This is the natural state
of things. But for forced evolution, where we seek to come in touch with
things that are not part of our external world, things not even part of of
the cultures or their associated psychological archetypes -- we need help to
go beyond and learn things that are otherwise unlearnable. We need external
help, and this help is only offered as part of the work of the Hierarchy of
Compassion, offerred by the human Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and their helpers,
the Mahatmas. Without participating in their work -- truly our work as well!
-- we can be self-made, but we will be in accord with external nature, part
of the natural tide or flow of things, and miss out on what Theosophy can
really offer us.

-- Eldon