Re: Constitution Advocates Pluralism not Exclusivity

Aug 05, 1995 00:52 AM
by Robert J. Staffieri

Bravo to the previous writer's insight!

The United States of America WAS NOT, REPEAT WAS NOT founded on
Christian beliefs. Most of the founding fathers were Deists and
many were Freemasons. The ones that were Christians were not of
the "born again" variety like today, but rather ones that left
the motherland (Great Britian) for the "New Atlantis" (The
American Colonies) due to religious persecution. The same goes
for the many settlers here of the Jewish faith, who were
rigorously being persecuted in other nations and colonies.

The founding fathers and settlers of the colonies intended to
establish a nation free from religious persecution and one that
advocated religious tolerance and offered protection for those
who practiced religions that were out of the "mainstream."

The "religious right" is trying to promote the erroneous belief
that this is a Christian nation, founded on Christian principles
for, essentially, Christians only. That notion is pure fantasy
and ludicrous at best! If that's the case, why did Thomas
Jefferson write his own version of the Bible?!

Manly P. Hall's book "The Secret Destiny of America" offers
insightful information on this subject.

Peace, Love and High Blessings,

Robert

>>>The Rev. Franklin is incorrect in believing that this country
was founded on Christian beliefs.

>I am a Canadian but very interested in American History. Right
now I am watching the documentary Civil War and studying Ralph
Waldo Emerson intensely. I thought that the God of the craftsmen
of the Constitution was more deistic than theistic and that the
intention was freedom of religion for all - that to me sounds a
lot like pluralism and tolerance. I find it shameful that
fundamentalists play with the language of the constitution in
such a way as to read it as a narrow tract.