Answering Critics

Jun 29, 1995 04:25 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

Having learned from painful experience that defending one's work
is an endless and thankless task, I won't be doing so any more.
If anyone has any alternative identifications of Masters to
offer, I'd be delighted to consider the relative weight of the
evidence and discuss pros and cons.  In the absence of such
constructive criticism, I think it best to leave readers to judge
for themselves.

Here's a quote from a book recommended to me by Daniel Caldwell,
The Modern Researcher by Barzun and Graff: "when he has done his
work it is no refutation of it to say that he has selected his
facts to fit his case.  Mr.  Sparrow gives us the right view of
that tiresome cliche: "What else should an investigator do? It is
for the critics to show that they themselves have evaluated all
the evidence, and can make a selection from it as reliable as
[the other], and base upon that selection conclusions that compel
acceptance..."