logical solution

Jun 28, 1995 10:13 AM
by Brenda S. Tucker

Here are some statements from posts by Dan Caldwell and Paul
Johnson I'd like to respond to.

>According to MGRAYE@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU:
> > If anybody offers an "explanation" the burden of proof is on that
> > person to submit evidence of some kind that shows that his
> > explanation rules out the competing explanations.  To simply
> > offer an explanation as a possiblity solves nothing.
>This seems to suggest that your expectations are too high for
>certain circumstances.

His expectations may be too low, because offering an explanation
as a possibility is human and therefore beneficial to the growth
of the thinking process.

> > Now I am not denying that "faith" or "intuition" or "personal
> > experience" doesn't have its place in the scheme of things.

> Theosophy is, rather, unique in providing a context in which
> people of differing ideologies can exchange their "faith,
> intuition and personal experience" in search of truth at a higher
> level than can be verbalized as just another competing ideology.

We're not competing, but we are instead encouraging study and
providing people with alternatives to 1) gurus 2) monasteries 3)
universities , etc.  People are able to continue their work in
all different areas of life and still reap some of the "higher
learning" associated with "spiritual living." Where is the
spiritual life? Right where you are.  You don't need to attend
any classes or live anywhere.  Reading, meditation, and listening
to different points of view are available in every neighborhood,
every country, etc.  The only qualification is being human and in
existence.  Maybe the interest in reincarnation is concern for
other human beings who may not be able to reach a group concerned
with spiritual living or perhaps who aren't exposed to
theosophical teachings in a modern way.  For instance, can we
make theosophy available to those who are out of existence?
(Believe me, they need it.)

> "To theosophize" being to know or grok from buddhi-manas rather
> than kama-manas.  For my own "faith, intuition, and personal
> experience," the reincarnation question is as someone, Paul G.
> perhaps, already stated.  The first time I heard about it as a
> small child, I immediately embraced the idea.

Children are great, but they aren't faced with the problems of
living in a world where we can find no consort to "spirit" or
where public education refuses to become involved for some
"sinister" reason with our "education for truth," ignoring (and
banning?) any material that could strike the buddhi-manas or
better yet atma-buddhi chord by presenting a world picture that
encourages spiritual life and discipline.  I still become almost
frightened when I think I grew up and others have to without THE
YOGA SUTRAS and without a view of doing away with suffering and
reaching "isolated unity" and a consciousness of bliss, a
consciousness which can be blessedly sacrificed for the service
of mankind.  To aid the struggling, ignorant pilgrims is the only
cause greater than eternal peace and bliss.  (Ignorance in
childhood may be a result of maturation towards knowledge of
being rather than a cause of lack of that knowledge.)

Every member of The Theosophical Society has contributed
something inestimably of value to me personally by helping it to
exist, and if there is only one member who was encouraged (I know
there were thousands.) to "take the journey in search of the
self," we have participated in a method of living which has
produced manifold good where there was failure and manifold
difficulty before.

I'd like to put a very nice posting from buddha-l on the list
here to help our seeking of solutions to life's difficult
questions.