To Astrea

Jun 26, 1995 01:53 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

The last I heard was that the Atlantis Bookshop was closing down,
and that from the woman who used to run it (in Museum Street, as
you say).  This was a few years ago, so it seems it survived or
reincarnated! In thwe 1950's this shop was a sinister place
beloved of Crowleyites, dark and gloomy inside.  The 50's reprint
of Crowleys "777" was published from there in a limited edition
of 1,000 copies, one of which I had (but no more).

The more famous and lighter bookshop was (and is) Watkins
Bookshop at 21 Cecil Court, of Charing Cross Road, near Leicester
Square underground station.  I used to visit Geoffey Watkins (son
of the founder) regularly in those days, and it was he who kindly
signed the recommendation for a readers ticket in the then
Reading Room of the British Museum Library, where I did most of
my early studies.  Ah, happy days! Watkins Bookshop is these days
much more commercial, and the personal touch has long gone
(sigh).

Alan