"He saw the light..."

Jun 26, 1995 12:57 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

Here's the AP story I mentioned the other day.  It appears on p.
11A of the Danville Register & Bee for 6/18:

He saw the light-- of a financial sort

New York (AP)-- Gino Vannelli, who made a fortune on the 1978 hit
"I Just Wanna Stop" and then blew it all, got his life back on
track after receiving this message of enlightenment from a Hindu
monk: Find a good accountant.

The 42-year-old singer had gone more than $250,000 in debt and
decided he wanted to find "my God-essence and get my life back
together." He became what he termed a Zen THEOSOPHIST [my
emphasis-PJ] and eventually encountered a Hindu monk in Malibu,
Calif.

"We spoke about my psyche, how there is no body without
spirituality and how people built their sand castles in the sky,"
Vannelli recalls.  "He emerged almost as if from a trance and
then he faced me and said, "What you really need is a good
accountant."

Vannelli hired one in Portland, Ore., where he lives, and the
accountant has helped him tone down his lifestyle.