Re: Theosophical Enlightenment

Jun 24, 1995 05:35 PM
by Astrea

Has any one seen the book entitled "The Theosophical
Enlightenment" by Joscelyn Godwin, 1994, State University of New
York Press, Albany? It's quite a scholarly survey of esoteric
philosophy and movements in the West from the 18th Century, and
includes the Theosophical Society, amongst other things.  He
quotes from "our" Paul Johnson's books on a number of occasions.
He is not hostile to the society, and seems to acknowledge some
unexplained goings-ons, but appears to prefer ordinary
explanations to extra-ordinary ones, when it comes to the Masters
etc.  I've just skimmed it, and these are my initial impressions.
It is interesting however, because he brings in some relatively
obscure figures associated with the early days of the TS, eg the
Egyptians HBP associated with before she founded the Soceity.

We bought the book in a small esoteric bookshop near the British
Museum last weekend.  (Just to add some local colour: as we were
looking around the shelves a young lady came in trying to find
someone who could initiate her as a witch.  The woman behind the
counter, who seemed to know a thing or two about these matters,
told her she was too young, and that before a witch would take
anyone on for training and initiation they would have to be much
older.)

ASTREA