Re: cosmogenesis and other subjects

Jun 23, 1995 11:26 AM
by Adam Warcup

FRDHVY@aol.com writes:

> On reincarnation (reference comments by Daniel Caldwell in digest
> 259), there is an interesting variation on Pascal's argument for
> the existence of God in the most recent American Theosophist.  In
> his article, Be the best you can be, Ayers suggests, indirectly,
> that there may be everything to gain by beleiving in
> reincarnation, and very little to lose.  Certainly there is a
> lack of objective evidence for belief in reincarnation, but there
> are tantalizing subjective evidences that come from past life age
> regressions under hypnosis.  In my practice, I see people often
> who suffer depression which may be directly related to their
> belief that they have to be perfect all at once and forever.
> These patients are "cured" of their depression when they learn
> they may have more than one chance to "get it right".  These same
> patients often suffer tremendous guilt feelings that reflect
> their blind acceptance of church teaching that they are flawed
> from the start and can never become perfect (unless, of course,
> they are "saved" by the charisma of their personal
> teacher/preacher, or by tithing, or by paying off the secular
> demands of their church).  There does seem to be a wide range of
> practice within and between various denominations, which reflects
> the apparent conclusion that the individual preachers/teachers
> are given a lot of freedom in their interpretation of the way
> they should use and promote the sense of guilt in their
> followers.  I use the possibility that reincarnation is a fact of
> existence to build a new perpective for some patients, enabling
> them to view their religious systems in a new, and more
> constructive light.  (Please note well that I am very critical of
> some individual preachers/teachers and their approach to guilt,
> and am in no way being critical of the belief system of any
> organized religion.  Please make the distinction between
> religious belief systems, which are spiritual and universal, and
> parish/congregation/cult policy, which are secular, manmade, and
> imperfect.)
>
> Love and light,  Fred

Hi Fred,

I'd like to add a few thoughts on the question of having a belief
in reincarnation.  I have taught classes etc.  on theosophy on
and off for twenty years, and have discussed and debated the
subject with a wide variety of people over the years, I have come
to the following conclusions:

1) If a person starts out disbelieving in reincarnation, no
amount of reasoned debate will get them to change their minds.

2) Reincarnation cannot be 'proved'.  Anecdotal evidence is
interesting, but is never proof.

3) Those who 'believe' in reincarnation (and that includes me) do
so because of inner experiene and/or conviction.  It satisfies
them, but does not necessarily satisfy other people.  As soon as
I became aware of the idea, I just 'knew' that it was true.

I know now that it is futile to pass on my conviction and
enthusiasm to anyone else.  Yes, I will talk about and teach the
subject, because I may just remind someone of what they already
'knew'.

Adam Warcup