William Laudahn

Jun 13, 1995 08:36 AM
by RIhle

About three months ago I received a desk-top-published volume in
the mail:

GNOSTIC AND MYSTICAL THEOSOPHY by William Laudahn.  It is a
collection of his writings since the late 70's.

I never met Bill.  We corresponded a little.  He supported me
with a few letters to the editor during the days when articles of
mine could start debates on whether or not I really belonged in
Theosophy.  He said, "Richard Ihle challenges us and compels
thought.  Can he, therefore, be all bad?"

Bill could also, from time to time, say things which had the
power to move me in a deeper way: "The many lesser, temporary
attractions arrive and depart, live and die, wax and wane in the
unreality of Maya, cosmic illusion.  Reality is the single Self
of All."

Anyway, I set GNOSTIC AND MYSTICAL THEOSOPHY aside, thinking that
this summer would be soon enough to read it and send an
appreciative response to Bill.

However, I was surprised and saddened to learn, in the current
issue of THE AMERICAN THEOSOPHIST, that he had died.

I apologize for my tardiness, Bill.  I apologize that THE
AMERICAN THEOSOPHIST had an extended obituary for Burl Ives but
not for you.  I apologize that I let a fine mystic like you pass
over without one more thank you.

Richard Ihle