Re: Re to Sy on Tarot

May 30, 1995 08:18 AM
by Arthur Paul Patterson

Jerry,

I teach a course on Tarot called Tarot Traditions where I stress
the importance of the creation of the Inner Tarot through
meditation and study.  Assuming that the images of the tarot are
fundamentally universal archetypes I have no objection to a
expansion or contraction of the images as long as what gets
worked with is living.  I have been sort of irritated by the
reoccurance of a form of literalism that often comes up when
individuals do not hold to their theories as metaphors for growth
and equate the intellectual convolutions for hard "fact".  This
is one of the reason why I remain agnostic concerning the orgins
or the precise esoteric schemata that lie behind the cards.
Personally I tend toward a psychodynamic approach since I am
probably more edept at that form.  Below is a list of the books I
have in my library on Tarot some are beginners stuff but I hope
there are some people who find the list helpful.

In the Spirit of the Tarot Fool,

Arthur Paul Patterson

          Tarot Bibliography

Ashcroft-Norwicki, Dolores.  The Servants of Light Tarot.
London: Aquarian/Thorsons., 1991.

Campbell, Joseph & Roberts, Richard.  Tarot Revelations.  San
Alselmo, California: Vernal Equinox Press., 1987.

Compton, Madonna.  Archetypes on the Tree of Life: Tarot as
Pathwork.  St.  Paul, Minnesota: Llwellyn Publications., 1991.

Connolly, Eileen.  Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice.
North Hollywood, California: Newcastle Publishing Company Inc.,
1979.

Davis, Courtney.  The Celtic Tarot.  London: Aquarian/Thorsons.,
1990.

Eakins, Pamela.  Tarot of the Spirit.  York Beach, Maine: Samuel
Weiser, Inc.  1992.

Fairfield, Gail.  Choice Centered Tarot.  Smithville, Indiana:
Ramp Creek Publishing., 1990.

Fenton, Sasha.  Super-Tarot: New Techniques for Improving Your
Tarot Reading.  London: Aquarian/Thorsons., 1991.

Gad, Irene.  Tarot and Individuation: Correspondences with Cabala
and Alchemy.  York Beach Maine: Nicholas Hays, Inc., 1994.

Gerulskis-Estes, Susan.  The Book of Tarot: Illustrated with the
Morgan Greer Tarot.  Stamford, CT.: US Games Systems Inc., 1981.

Giles, Cynthia.  The Tarot: History, Mystery, and Lore.  New
York: Paragon House., 1992.

Gonzalez, Magda Weck & Gonzalez, J.A.  Star-Spider Speaks: The
Teachings of the Native American Tarot.  Stamford, CT: U.S.
Games Systems Inc., 1990.

Gray, Miranda.  Beasts of Albion: Using Ancient British Animal
Guides for Self-Development.  London: Aquarian/Thorsons., 1994.

Gwain, Rose.  Discovering Your Self Through the Tarot: A Jungian
Guide to Archetypes and Personality.  Rochester, Vermont: Destiny
Books., 1994.

Hoeller, A.  Stephan.  The Royal Road: A Manual of Kabalistic
Meditations on the Tarot., Wheaton, Illinois: Quest Books., 1975.

Jayanti, Amber.  Living the Tarot: Applying an Ancient Oracle to
the Challenges of Modern Life.  St.Paul, Minnesota: Llewellyn
Publications., 1993.

Kaplan-Williams, Strephon.  Dream Cards: Understanding your
Dreams and Enrich Your Life.  New York: Simon & Schuster., 1991.

Knight, Gareth.  The Magical World of The Tarot: Fourfold Mirror
of the Universe.  London: Aquarian Press., 1991.

Knight, Gareth.  Tarot and Magic: Images for Rituals and
Pathworking.  Rochester, Vermont: Destiny Books., 1991.

Masino, Marcia.  Easy Tarot Guide.  San Diego, California: ACS
Publication., 1987.

Matthews, John and Caitlin.  The Arthurian Tarot: A Hallowquest
Handbook., London: Aquarian/Thorsons., 1990.

Matthews, Caitlin.  The Arthurian Tarot Course: A Quest for All
Seasons.  London: Aquarian/Thorsons., 1993.

Matthews, Caitlin.  The Celtic Book of the Dead: A Guide for Your
Voyage to the Celtic Underworld.  Toronto: Stewart House., 1992.

Matthews, John and Caitlin.  Hallowquest: Tarot Magic and The
Arthurian Mysteries.  London: The Aquarian Press., 1990.

Nichols, Sallie.  Jung and the Tarot: An Archetypal Journey.
York Beach, Maine: Samuel Weiser Inc., 1990.

Nobel, Vicki.  Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess Through Myth,
Art and Tarot.  San Francisco: HarperColins Publishers., 1982.

Ozaniec, Naomi.  The Element Tarot Handbook: Initiation Into the
Key Elements of the Tarot.  Rockport, MA: Element Books Limited.,
1994.

Pollack, Rachel.  The Haindl Tarot: Vol.II The Minor Arcana.
North Hollywood, California: Newcastle Publishing Inc., 1990.

Pollack, Rachel.  The Haindl Tarot: Vol.I The Major Arcana.
North Hollywood, California: Newcastle Publishing Inc., 1990.

Pollack, Rachel.  Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom - A Book of
Tarot: Part 1 The Major Arcana.  London: Aquarian Press., 1980.

Pollack, Rachel.  Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom - A Book of
Tarot: Part 2 The Minor Arcana and Readings.  London: Aquarian
Press., 1983.

Pollack, Rachel.  Tarot Readings and Meditations.  London:
Aquarian/Thorsons., 1990

Sams, Jamie.  Sacred Path Cards: The Discovery of Self Through
Native Teachings.  San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco., 1990.

Sams, Jamie.  The Sacred Path Workbook: New Teachings and Tools
to Illuminate Your Personal Journey.  San Francisco:
HarperSanFrancisco., 1991.

Sams, Jamie & Carson, David.  Medicine Cards: The Discovery of
Power Through the Ways of Animals.  Santa Fe, New Mexico: Bear &
Company., 1988.  Sharman-Burke, Juliet & Greene, Liz.  The Mythic
Tarot: A New Approach to the Tarot Cards.  New York: Simon &
Schuster., 1986.

Sharman-Burke, Juliet.  The Mythic Tarot Workbook.  New York:
Simon & Schuster., 1988.

Stewart, R.J.  The Complete Merlin Tarot: Images, Insight and
Wisdom from the Age of Merlin.  London: Aquarian/Thorsons., 1992.

Stewart, R.J.  The Dreampower Tarot: The Three Realms of
Transformation in the Underworld.  London: Aquarian/Thorsons.,
1993.

Suster, Gerald.  The Truth About the Tarot: A Manual of Practise
and Theory.  London: Skoob Books Publishing., 1990.

Waite, A.E.  The Pictorial Key to the Tarot: A Fully Illustrated
Guide to What Tarot Is and How to Consult It.  New York: Barnes
and Noble., 1979.

Wang, Robert.  Qabalistic Tarot: A Textbook of Mystical
Philosophy.  York Beach, Maine: Samuel Weiser Inc., 1992.

Wang, Robert.  Tarot Psychology: Jungian Tarot Set Handbook & 78
Cards.  Aitrang, Germany: Urana Virlags., 1990.

Woudhuysen, Jan.  Tarot Therapy: A New Approach to Self
Exploration.  Los Angeles, California: Jeremy P.  Tarcher Inc.,
1988.

Zerner, Amy & Farber, Monte.  The Enchanted Tarot.  New York: St.
Martin's Press., 1990.