Re: Theosophy & Politics.

May 06, 1995 07:43 AM
by LieselFD

Dear Eldon,

Your editorial inspired some further thoughts in my mind, so I
hope you won't feel offended, if I play around a little with what
you said.  It's meant to enhance.  It's also meant ot invite
further discussion.

I agree with what you say in your first paragraph that Theosophy
"is not based ...  on well-intentioned social work".  Such social
work is one of the banes of my existence.  But I'd like to tie
that in with your thoughts expresse d at the end of the editorial
the "path of spiritual evolution......  Obtaining & sharing that
wealth is the highest good." That too, I fully agree with.  The 2
seem to cvontradict each other, but, to me they don't.  I think
because I've added a Buddhist ingredient to the mix of sharing
whatever I've ben able to learn with someone else, who might also
be able to use it.  That ingredient is expressed as "Skill in
means".I've been trying to steadily improve my skill in means for
sharing whatever beautiful & useful I've found.  maybe I'm not so
very skillful yet, but i've improved, & I think all Theosophists
should aim for improving their "skill in means".

"Theosophy teaches self-responsibility".  It does, but I've also
learned that you yourself are responsible for your own Karma, and
that other people need to be responsible for theirs, & that you
very seldom take on another person's karma upon yourself.  It
doesn't work, for one thing, as I found out when I very willingly
took on some of my grandson, Benjamin's karma, & as it so
happened, didn't succeed.

All I got across was my point of view, but since I didn't get
either little Ben nor his parents to fall in with my idea,
nothing further happened.  It concerned a health problem, &
nothing constructive is being done about it, so I'm still worried
about it, but I cannot take on Ben's karma.  He & his parents
have made their choice, & it's completely out of my hands.  & I
think that's where it should be.  Other people have to make their
own choices.  'Buddhas do but point the way." After you've made
your choices, you need to live with the results, but the results
aren't necessarily untoward, they might be very pleasant, &
enjoyable.  If, however, they don't come out to your liking, then
it's again time to make another choice to get them more in line
with what you tried to achieve in the first place.  So I'm still
hoping about Ben, even though there's nothing further I can do
about it.

I think "hairbrained", or "not- theosophical" ideas aren't only
found in untrained minds.  PhD's can talk & think stupid
sometimes too.  People don't always agree with your own point of
view, & Theosophy is set up so that people can be Theosophists &
still have different points of view.  & wouldn't it be boring, if
we all looked at everything exactly alike? I think that's not
even the case with the Dhyani Chohans, where an idea travels
across the group at such great speed that they can immediately
all act in unison.To me, there's also the matter of that what is
appropriate for one person in a situation might not be
appropriate for another.  I think a tangible example is, 4 pieces
of candy.  If you're thin as a rail, you don't have to think
twice about enjoying 4 pieces of candy, one right after the
other.  If, on the other hand, you're fighting the battle of the
midriff bulge, you better be careful about how many pieces of
candy you consume, & if you happen to be diabetic, the candy is
usually even worse for you.

I happen to be a Karma Yoga person, & I happen to believe that
wherever you notice a lack that you can profitable remedy, you
should do so.  If the TS does n't believe in taking part in
organized religion nor in politics, that doesn't present an
obstacle for me personally to take part, if I see that I'll be
able to help with profit in some way.  Of course, I can't go
around, & again be a do-gooder, & try to fix everything.  I have
to pick & choose among all the things I could be helping to fix
the ones which appeal to me most, & the ones I have the most
knowledge & expertise to help fix.

About laws, I agree with you that laws are for those not advanced
enough to follow their own inner law.  The inner law takes a long
time to develop.  I think it is made up of intuition and
conscience.  I don't believe that people are born evil, & need to
be raised from being miserable sinners.  I believe that everyone
is born with a conscience, & if they listen to that, & if they
also learn the workings of karma, which is also Law, no other law
is needed.  I think Theosophy is based on the innate goodness of
people, & the spiritual training is to bring it out.

The end

Liesel