Re Astrea

Apr 20, 1995 09:24 AM
by Jerry Schueler

> If union is achieved through a practice, who is to say it is
> higher or lower.  Each form of Yoga suits <people with different
> temperaments.  I wouldn't say Karma <Yoga was the _lowest_ form
> of Yoga, by any means.
>
> ASTREA

Touche!  Actually I don't say that either, and I agree with
your assessment that each form suits people with different
temperaments.  I was simply repeating what I had read by the
so-called experts.  For example in CW Vol XIV p 434, HPB says
that Hatha-Yoga practitioners cannot "gain real Abhijnas (the
supernatural abnormal five powers)."  I studied yoga long
ago, and I have forgotten many of my references, but I do
recall that each school extolled their own virtues over the
others.  Nevertheless, many authors acknowledge that
Kundalini Yoga is the steepest path (albeit the most
dangeous) while Karma Yoga is the slowest (albeit the most
safe).  I didn't make this up.  If you really want, I will
hit my library and try to find quotes for you.  But I do
agree, that all roads up the mountain lead to the peaks, and
thus you should pick the road that best suits your own
temperament.  There is no race.  The only reason for taking
a steep path is a personal one, not something that is
necessarily recommended.

Jerry S.