Re Keith

Apr 18, 1995 09:20 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Keith: < In some way we all may possibly get to be everybody else
in endless variation throughout endless time in innumerable
universes including parellel universes and things like meditation
and dream states.>

According to the collection-of-others theory found in Tibetan
Buddhism, each and every cell of our body is composed of what G.
de Purucker calls life-atoms.  When we die and our body decays,
these life-atoms go out into the world and are karmically
attracted to other incoming people (i.e., physical bodies in the
fetus stage).  Thus your body is composed of life-atoms that were
once in the body of Jesus (probably only a few) as well as Jack
the Ripper (hopefully only a few).  G de P says that our
life-atoms will await our own rebirth, whence we will pick up,
via some kind of karmic psycho-physical attraction, where we left
off in the last life.  To match the two theories, I would say
that while the fetus develops, it attracts _most_ of the old
life-atoms, while allowing plenty of new ones to be used as well.
So, these "new ones" are those from other bodies; thus we do, in
fact, share with other people and, as you say, we "get to be
everybody else." As an aside to this interesting, albeit
unprovable, idea, the ancient Egyptian magical technique of
mummification could well have been done for the purpose of
preventing a rebirth - thus ensuring a long stay in Devachan.
Also, the Hindu technique of cremation was done (and still is) to
ensure a more speedy rebirth.  The Tibetans, by the way, lay the
corpse out on open fields or rocks and let the birds and animals
eat them, thus ensuring that even in death they will be helping
other living beings.  I guess a lot has to do with motive here.

Keith: <I have tried several forms of kundalini yoga which
usually involve intense breathing along with movement of the
spine and have found them interesting but not dangerous except to
people who might be karmically predisposed to a dangerous
awakening.>

The one main thing that you do _not_ want to do with Kundalini
Yoga is to breathe hard or intensely (unless you are working
under a Teacher).  This almost guarantees Kundalini to stir,
which will usually cause a lot of mischief (see Gopi Krishna's
account of his own rousing of this goddess in his amazing
autobiography).  I found out long ago that headaches and other
problems came when my breathing was too intense.  Try shallow
gentle breathing, and Kundalini can be awakened easily and
quietly.  Takes a little longer, but it safer, and the end
results are the same.

Keith: <And as I have stated before, I think the writings of the
Masters and HPB have a lot to do with the art of meditation and
introversion (the study of one's own mental state's, hopefully
higher) that one can test only with one's own introversion
without appeal to external authority.>

I think you are confusing introversion with introspection.  Even
an extravert can practice introspection.  But I agree with what I
think is your intended meaning.

Jerry S.