Music & Meditation

Apr 18, 1995 01:37 AM
by OSMAR DE CARVALHO

     Aloha, Astrea and Liesel!

> I agree...  concerts are better, but since I can't get to one of
> those often enough, & this is my main mode of meditating, I do it
> with earphones.  It's good, even if not the same.

     I love to do some of my personal meditations with music,
     especially sounds of mantras.  Apparently this kind of
     harmonic tune leads the mind very quickly to the trance
     state and the feeling of emptiness.

     On this subject I was told that Radha Burnier says that was
     not advisable to use music in meditation, because "music is
     a kind of form and meditation aims to achieve consciousness
     beyond forms."

     From my experience I arrived to the conclusion that music is
     very good to attain the "concentration" state, as a sonic
     "mandala", but its fixation on one of the senses works
     similarly as an "anchor", which refrain the consciousness to
     enter the deep "meditation" level.

     What you think about it?

     Shanti!

     Osmar  *|)