the flower festival

Apr 17, 1995 01:02 PM
by uscap9m9

With but a few minutes remaining during lunch, I have time to
make a few quick comments on Ken's posting on the flower festival.
More detailed comments to Ann and Jerry S. will have to wait for
now.           -- Eldon Tucker

----

I'd agree that the important thing we all seek for is the
spirituality that arises from a well-developed art of living.
Metaphysics, though, plays an important role in living, unless
it is divorced from day-to-day life. Various ideas about the
world and universe are but hollow words, unless there is a
real, living, dynamic connection with outer life. There must
be tangible expression given to what we know, or it goes stale,
becomes posionous, and must be discarded.

In Zen practice, we might be encouraged to hold off on a study
of the sutras until we've developed good insight, and have a
solid meditative practice. A solid grounding in spirituality
is needed or a study of higher philosophy will be unanchored,
and be mere mental speculation.

Our experience of living is qualified and enriched by the ideas
that we hold, and by the context of the situation, which our
understanding and memory bring. Memory, knowledge, and insight
give us unique experiences. Three people from different backgrounds
-- say a Zen Master, a materialist scientist, and a hard-working
social worker -- experience the same outer circumstances
quite differently.

There is a vast difference in the world based upon the inner
life of the beholder. Much of this difference comes from what
that person knows, perceives, and understands.

A rigid mind leads to an ugly experience of life, when we think
about it. A spiritually enriched mind, in touch with the
sacred side of life, beautifies our experiences.

The value of metaphysics is our life depends upon our
having a healthy relation to our 'intuition mind', and
is not good or bad per se.

Theosophy is often called the Esoteric Philosophy. "Philosophy"
means the love of wisdom, and when we add "Esoteric", we're talking
about the love of that wisdom that comes from the hidden, or
unseen side of life. Wisdom is knowledge rooted in our lives,
knowledge or ideas or metaphysics that has become an integral,
living part of our everyday lives. It is a beautiful pursuit.