Re Astrea

Apr 15, 1995 02:02 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Astrea:<The applications of Eastern techniques does need to be
reviewed for the conditions we live in, but so do the Western
ones.  It's difficult to live like a monk or nun in a Christian
order whilst holding done a job, as well.>

Agreed.  Modern theosophists need to find new techniques that
will work in our modern world.  Jnana Yoga is probably a good
start since most of us like to read and study.  The favorite of
the TSs is Karma Yoga (good deeds), but this technique is the
slowest of all, and most of the hard work doesn't pay off until
somewhere in a future life, which helps us now not at all.
Actually, Karma Yoga with the right attitude (i.e., not seeking
any reward) is a lot harder than it looks.

Astrea: <I have been practicing Hatha yoga techniques for over 17
years now, and can report nothing but benefits therefrom.  The
problems only arise when I stop.  Also some Buddhist or Hindu
meditation techniques transfer very well, in my experience.  >

Thats great.  I tried Hatha Yoga and failed miserably.  I could
never do a full lotus, even in my young and flexible days.
Nowdays a half-lotus is out of the question as well.  I have
subscribed to Joga Journal for years, but am reduced to jealous
drooling over the pictures of yogis far more dexterious than I
have ever been.  I daresay that making a pretzel of oneself is a
good start along the spiritual journey, but alas, I had to skip
over it entirely, as I found myself to be quite incompatible with
the exercises.  They are reported to be great for your health, if
you can do them.

Astrea: <Isn't it true that as humans, we are all genetically
very similar? Why make a hard and fast distinction between East
and West? >

Well, actually, there are some genetic differences in sexes and
races (though, what these differences have to do with the
spiritual Path, is quite beyond me to say).  Jung taught that the
West is extroverted while the East is introverted, and the two
types are mutual exclusive.  However, we must remember that he
was speaking in generalities (or averages) and so individual
people can cross, and have crossed, over successfully.

Astrea: < WHy did HBP bring the teachings of the East to Europe
if she (and her MAsters) thought it to be wholly irrelevant in
the West?>

The Teachings are certainly not irrelevant.  Jung (and I) was
talking about techniques, not teachings.  HPB and the Masters
brought no techniques to the West, just Teachings.  But I think
that you have touched on something very important here.  I think
that HPB and her Masters "modified" esoteric Buddhism and Vedanta
just a little to make it more palatable to us in the West.  What
would Sinnet or Hume have done with the Buddhist teachings of
suchness, emptiness, or Clear Light? Probably not much! I believe
that they deliberately modified these teachings by puttings these
ideas in terms of monads that the West could accept and
understand.  The same is true for the Vedantist teaching of
nonduality, which is jibberish to most Western ears.  I will
doubtless recieve a few flames for this one, but I can't help
speaking out when I feel strongly about something.

Astrea: <I view the entire range of human traditions as my
inheritance, and will continue to avail myself of its riches
without distinction as to what direction it came from.  (Anyway,
I'm from New Zealand, and the tradtional European distinctions of
east/west etc don't hold down under.)>

Aha! Well, no wonder.  Actually, your eclectic attitude is
exemplary, and one that we should all follow.

Astrea: <If reincarnation is true, probably I've spent longer in
China and India than I have in the South Pacific.>

I sometimes feel the same way, except that with me it is Tibet
rather than China (of course China thinks that Tibet _is_ China).

  Jerry S.