Re: Can East ever meet West?

Apr 14, 1995 04:35 PM
by Astrea

Jerry Schueler <76400.1474@compuserve.com> writes:

> To address your point, yes there are common elements, but there
> are also enough differences to make Jung advise us to form our
> own techniques rather than to practice yoga and Buddhist
> meditations directly.  One of the techniques that employs
> Eastern visualization together with Western action and
> verbalization is, IMHO, magic.

I know this is the "received Wisdom" of the modern Western
esoteric tradition.  However, I don't like it.  Although there is
some truth in it.  The applications of Eastern techniques does
need to be reviewed for the conditions we live in, but so do the
Western ones.  It's difficult to live like a monk or nun in a
Christian order whilst holding done a job, as well.

I have been practicing Hatha yoga techniques for over 17 years
now, and can report nothing but benefits therefrom.  The problems
only arise when I stop.  Also some Buddhist or Hindu meditation
techniques transfer very well, in my experience.  The problems
come from the heavy cultural conditioning attached to some
traditions eg the very Japanese traditions associated with Zen
practice didn't suit, but the basic elements of the practice
would be applicable almost anywhere.

Isn't it true that as humans, we are all genetically very
similar? Why make a hard and fast distinction between East and
West? Where does the West end and the East begin? (I've heard it
said often that this occurs in Vienna.  There are a lot of Turks
about, mostly Muslim.  But I suppose this religion would qualify
as a Western religion as it came from the same region as
Christianity.) WHy did HBP bring the teachings of the East to
Europe if she (and her MAsters) thought it to be wholly
irrelevant in the West?

I view the entire range of human traditions as my inheritance,
and will continue to avail myself of its riches without
distinction as to what direction it came from.  (Anyway, I'm from
New Zealand, and the tradtional European distinctions of
east/west etc don't hold down under.)

If reincarnation is true, probably I've spent longer in China and
India than I have in the South Pacific.

ASTREA