Re: Grokking

Apr 14, 1995 08:52 AM
by bill

Hi Liesel,

        You wrote in response to my grokking contribution:

> The difference between what you describe and what Serge describes
> is only that Serge says you can only grok with positive feelings.
> If you have negative feelings towards the object you're trying to
> grok, it won't work.  That makes sense to me, because then you'd
> be repelled, & not be able to merge with it...

     My take on grok (and this is just *my* $0.02) is that the
     act of grokking is, in and of itself, emotionless.  When you
     grok you come into a complete and total understanding.  Once
     you have come to that understanding -- once you have merged
     -- then you can ex- perience the other's emotions more fully
     and allow them (or not) to influence your own emotions.

     I often have to try and grok my corporate students during
     class to try and understand why they are not "getting" a
     concept I am presenting.  Once I see things from their
     perspective, I am sometimes able to re-present things in a
     different way to allow their learning to come easier.

     But, I'm no expert.  YMMV.  But, as always, may *you* always
     grok in fullness.

Bill--
|William A. (Bill) Parrette|4000 Executive Pk. Dr., #310
|bill@[Zeus.]itdc.edu      |Cincinnati, OH 45241-4007
513-733-4747