Re: Poor Tibet

Apr 09, 1995 08:06 PM
by LieselFD

Astrea,

Just because other people are doing it too, doesn't excuse the
Chinese.  They're doing genocide, & the tortures are as sadistic
as those of the Nazis and the Stalinists.  I don't think any
country, no matter how much it is trying to raise its standard of
living internally, is entitled to extirpate another people in the
process, & that's what the Chinese are doing.  I'm very happy too
that so many Tibetans are now spreading Tibetan culture all over
the world, & I agree with you that this is a good thing, but that
doesn't ameliorate the fact that they have ar are again going to
torture & kill innocent people.  Also doesn't do anything to the
absolute hate I felt when I read "My Country My People".  Some of
the descriptions made your stomach turn, as just for instance
that they just sterilized people without their knowledge &
consent.  Ois Tibetans! If we could do something to stop killing
& torturing of more Tibetans, which seems to be in the offing,
I'm all for it.  (Taking into consideration that 'm too old to
fly a plane & drop bombs.)

Just incidentally, during Nazi times, a great part of the
European intelligentsia also came to this country, and
contributed a great deal to American culture, from Einstein to
Kurt Weil on down.  I'm glad they helped this country grow, but
that doesn't make me feel like I should condone what the Nazis
did to the people who couldn't or didn't get out.