Re: MLC 4 & a half

Apr 08, 1995 04:54 AM
by Astrea

am455@lafn.org (Nicholas Weeks) writes:

> A.P. Sinnett's first book was ~The Occult World~ published in
> 1881.  The following letter, excepting three passages, was
> contained in it.  This letter from Master Koot Hoomi to A.O.
> Hume was not included in the first three editions of ~The Mahatma
> Letters to A.P.  Sinnett~.  Vic Hao Chin's chronological edition
> (abbreviated as MLC) puts it in Appendix I.  There are slight
> differences in the wording of ~The Occult World~ letter and the
> MLC version.  The three passages deleted from ~The Occult World~
> are surrounded by double angle brackets << >>.  -- Nicholas

Thanks a lot for typing in this letter, which I found very
interesting.  PArts of it are familiar and I must check if they
are in our edition of ML.  Other parts, I can't remember at all.

One part of particular interest was that relating to the moral
nature of human action, and how you can't separate ethics from
science.  Many people have now come to this same view,
particularly after experiences with with development of weapons
of mass destruction by "morally neutral" scientists.  Is he also
hinting that Karmic effects also vary according to the intentions
of the actor?

The passage about how They influence world affairs was also very
interesting.  How it isnot possible to change the cycle which
humanity is going through eg Kali Yug', but that individuals may
be inspired or influenced.  I wonder who in world affairs might
fall into that category in recent years.  Of course, there seems
to always have to be a choice.

Also, the indication of the means by which phenomena can be
produced was interesting.  All of us do this, in a way, but the
intent is more diffused, so often the ideas take longer to
manifest - or so it seems.

ASTREA