RE: Seven Rays/More Commentary

Apr 07, 1995 01:29 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Eldon> When you mention the seven rays, you bring up a
> controversial tenant of Theosophy. The idea, as I see it,
> originated with Subba Row, and was picked up and expanded by
> E. Wood, CWL, and Alice Bailey. It is not part of the
> original teachings of HPB, and considered incorrect by the
> various theosophical groups, except for the pro-CWL Adyar
> folk.

> When we try to categorize people into one ray or another,
> and try to associate rays with certain personal
> characteristics and roles in life, I would say we are
> mistaken.

Ann responds: In working with the theory of Esoteric Astrology,
one can look at the planets, the signs they are in and determine
what ray or ray is dominant in a chart.  Yes, this does come from
Alice Bailey (pause for the hisses).

Other than an opportunity to address the issue of conflicting
opinions, my only reason for mentioning it is that I have had an
esoteric chart done and used the method for other charts.  As far
as my pea brain can tell, it WORKS.

Over the past month of reading Theos-l, I have had the experience
of seeing my heroes and heroines (Besant, CWL, Bailey and others)
being sliced up and prepared for shikabob.  (Yeow! Everything I
knew was wrong!) Even HPB and the Masters couldn't escape a brush
with the barbecue.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I used to have this misty image
of the Society.  It was full of dignified, stuffy people.  Thank
you for letting me find the reality.

Only something as amazing as The Society could stand the conflict
of so many people coming from so many paths, religions and
viewpoints, without totally dissolving.  It's managed to stay
together and work for the good of humanity, despite the
differences.  I think that is a major miracle.

By the way, it's great to see Theos-l back in business.  It been
deader than a doornail at my end for the past week.

- ann