Re: Hawking quote

Apr 06, 1995 07:01 AM
by LEWIS LUCAS

> Liesel quotes Hawking: >"Although science may solve the problem
> of how the universe began, it cannot answer the question: Why
> does the universe bother to exist? I don't know the answer to
> that."

Ann responds: I heard a gnostic student say that God wanted to
know everything, but realized he couldn't do it by himself.  So
he divided himself up into all the aspects of creation.

Lewis's comment: I remember reading Annie Besant's response to
this question years ago.  It was her opinion that it was an act
of supreme love.  Imagine for a moment a being who had evolved to
a point of sublime understanding of existence and then wants to
share it with others.  I see the marriage and procreation of
children as a microcosm of this idea.  One becomes an individual,
separating from parents, and then wants to share their
individuality with another.  After marriage the couple's love for
each other seeks to share this love with their children.  Just as
parents hope their children will grow in to fully conscious,
loving beings who will someday do the same, so does the Solor
Logos of our planetary system.

There is book by Annie Besant called The Doctrine of the Heart,
which I believe is where I got these ideas.

Lewis
llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu