Re: Re: Judgement Day

Apr 03, 1995 09:57 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

> After the year 1000 A.D., churches went up throughout Europe,
especially in France and Germany, to express thanks at the
postponement of Judgment Day.  Wonder what humanity will build in
thanks for making it past the year 2000?

>>Do you have sources and/or citations I can refer to re this
>>particular building program?  It has particular and direct
>>relevance to another project of mine.  TIA [I hope].  There are
>>quite a few in Britain from this period on, as well.
>
>>Alan
>
> What is TIA?

Thanks In Advance.

> I found it difficult to get information on the doomsday period
around 1000 A.D.  and this was all I could find in my puny
electronic encyclopedia (The People's Chronology, licensed from
Henry Holt and Company, Inc. Copyright C 1992 by James Trager).

> I found this time period personally fascinating because I took
a lot of architectural history courses about the great churches
of Europe in college.  Unfortunately, any of those books are long
gone.

All of the great churches (and some smaller ones) in Britain that
I have been able to see a ground plan of exhibit exactly and
precisely the "Jacob's Ladder" diagram I have developed in
Kabbalist studies, from the great west door to the eastern end of
the church.  Some are illustrated in my latest publication on
Sepher Yetzirah, mentioned elsewhere.

> Although I realize that Christianity has done more than enough
to turn away the occultist or Theosophist, it still seems the
natural path for me to follow the Western tradition of mysticism.
Anyone on Theos-l have information on Gnosticism?

> - Ann

There's gnosticism and gnosticism and gnosticism!  I am sure you
will get plenty of feedback on this.  IMO, a great deal of
nonsense is described as "gnostic".  Are you interested in a
historical [Christian] perspective particularly?  A start here
would be ~The Nag Hammadi Library in English~ pub. Brill; Leiden
and elsewhere, ed. Robinson.  This contains the well-known Gospel
of Thomas and much more, being part of the library of a presumed
gnostic sect in Egypt circa 4th century.

There is also a great deal of information in the polemic of the
early church fathers (pre-nicene) who quoted gnostic teachings in
order to refute them [as they saw it].  I have a lot of this
stuff on my own bookshelves, so do not hesitate to contact me if
it seems useful.

On the occult front, then Kabbalah represents the Western
Tradition, having acquired Christian elements in its progress
through time.

Alan.