Some Responses & Comments

Apr 03, 1995 08:58 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Here follows some answers, responses, and comments.  Sorry
about the length, but it is easier for me to do it all in
one glomp than in bits and pieces.

ASTREA: <The only "special power"  I want is wisdom.  It's
the only one that's any use, IMHO,>

Just how do you define wisdom, and how will we know it when
we see it?  I don't really think that you are being flip
with your response here, but could you take some time and
try to define what wisdom means to you for me?  And, after
that, please tell me, after aquiring it, how you would "use"
it?  I would like to hear your views on this.

ASTREA: <I had one go at "pathworking" which was enough to
put me off for sometime to come, maybe forever.  Encountered
an extremely unpleasant entity, somewhere between Malkuth
and Yesod - maybe part of myself,  maybe not. But he's not
getting out!>

Again, I can't tell if you are being flip, or humorous, or
are serious here.  If serious, then you have a big problem.
You can't just ignore such an "unpleasant entity" and hope
that it will go away; it won't.  What we see in pathworking
is similar to what we see in our dreams, and both are
indications of our spiritual development and our relationship
with the unconscious.  Your perception that this entity may
be part of yourself is a good start in overcoming it.

ASTREA: <It will end with this list just being another New
Age hang out.>

You are answering with seriousness to Alan's humor.  But I
agree that we don't want to be another New Age hang out.  I
suspect that there are enough theosophical folks among us to
assure that this won't happen.

Ann: < Anyone on Theos-l have information on Gnosticism?>

I have written a book on Gnostic Magic, which like many books
is still awaiting a publisher.  I don't know if I can answer
your questions or not, but I can try.  Are you interested in
Gnosticism the religion or in Gnostic Magic or in Gnostic
history?

Alan: < if we can't have a laugh at our oh-so-serious
studies, then we're probably doing it wrong>

Absolutely!

Alan: <Given that you know the subject already, construct
a "lightning flash" diagram using a circle basis for accuracy,
but instead of stopping at 10, go on to 32.  Do not ignore
Daath positions, but .......>

This sounds like my wife's directions for how to get to her
friend's house.  Give me a few days to work on this one.  The
only lightening flash that I have is from the GD, and they use
a different numbering system.

Alan: <However, the work of the aspirant may result, as HPB
might have said, in the acquirement of siddhis, but they are
of no lasting value at the level of "adepthood" [horrid word
in my vocabulary].>

Agreed as to "lasting" value.  But precipitation is a lot
faster than the US mail. :-)

Alan: <but they are not ends in themselves, and many are
extremely variable at the level of interpretation.>

Agreed.  Actually, most of the magicians that I know agree
with this.  Astrea's "wisdom" is, I would guess, what they
call the Great Work, and all else is just so much fluff or
window dressing.  Psychic abilities (which are potential in
all of us) are not goals nor are they ends in themselves.
But when they come naturally as we develop, they can be useful
to further the Great Work.

Alan: <I have met people who get hooked on "pathworking" to the
extent that they have no hope of further progress until they get
unhooked.  Unfortunately, it can be extremely enjoyable to go on
playing "astral games."  :-)>

This is also true for meditation.  James Long pointed out to me
years ago that many people get to like meditating so much that
they find themselves meditating just to be meditating.
Techniques such as meditation and pathworking are just that -
techniques.  They are tools for us to use; means to an end, but
not an end in themselves.

Liesel: <. I'll try to retrieve part 1 & send it to you again.>

Thanks.

Arthur: < could you resend it e-mail or online.>

Am sending a copy to you now by email.

ASTREA: < " Love God and do what you please!" Sounds antinominan,
lawless, but it is the greatest commandment that leads to the
greatest freedom.  Regardless how you configure what God is. Love
The Universe and do as you please reads similarly.>

Yes.

             Jerry S.