Re: Moral Development and the...

Mar 29, 1995 12:48 PM
by LieselFD

I think we need very much to be aware of the growing intolerance
of a certain segment of our population.  I'm always aware of it,
because I had the contact, however slight, with Nazi Germany,
where they burned books, & people with certain beliefs.  Just
now, I'm aware of S314, which, to me spells internet censorship,
& I'm trying to do my bit not to have that law passed..  My
consolation in this country is that we seem always to be able to
absorb these intolerant onslaughts.  I still remember taking an
adult course in current events during the McCarthy era, when
everyone who only slightly opened their mouth was in danger of
being branded a communist.  I remember sitting in the class room,
with adults, voicing a mild contrary opinion, & looking around me
& seeing the scared faces of the others.  They were afraid to
answer me back, lest they be branded communist.  One could
possibly lose one's livelihood.  That's how cowed McCarthy had
people in New Jersey, at the time.  Well, McCarthy ruined a
number of people's lives, but the country as a whole survived him
without becoming too bigoted.  I remember that, & it always gives
me hope that the general public in this country isn't going to go
along with censorhship & intolerance over the long run.  It's a
big hope, in view of the fact that a few right to lifers have
killed choicers.

Liesel