Re: Moral Development

Mar 29, 1995 11:03 AM
by LieselFD

As I understand it, when one has reached Jerry's level # 3, one
just does the right thing as needed, without some God or lawgiver
standing over you, pointing a finger at you, "Thou shalt not..."
At that point the "Thou shalt not"'s are no longer necessary,
because everyone just knows the right thing to do in certain
circumstances, & does it, without reminders & proddings.  A long
ways off, maybe.  When I was in college, we had an honor system.
No proctors in test or exam rooms.  We regulated ourselves.  At
the end of the exam, we signed a pledge that we hadn't cheated.
If someone very occasionally did cheat, & you saw them, you had
to ask them to turn themselves in.  They did.  They were brought
up at Student Court.  It happened so seldom that the whole campus
knew about it.  I remember one person cheating in the 4 years I
was there, among maybe four thousand students.  It works.

Liesel