Comments on ML #2

Mar 28, 1995 04:57 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Two Comments on ML # 2.

1.  " The mysteries never were, never can be, put within the
reach of the general public, not, at least, until that longed for
day when our religious philosophy becomes universal."

Whenever we read over and study the tremendous amount of TS
literature available, we need to reflect on these words to gain a
little humility.  One of Carl Jung's complaints about theosophy
is that it seems to have an answer for everything, but that just
like science, many of these seeming answers are really of little
help in understanding an experience.  He uses, as an example, a
person who eats bad food and then has a bad dream.  The
scientific explanation is that eating bad food caused the bad
dream.  But, this in no way explains' the meaning of the dream.
In the same way, many theosophical answers use words or terms
that are themselves little, if at all, really understood.  The
bottom line here is that while our verbage is high, and we are
apt to think that we, as theosophists, know all the answers, much
of life remains a mystery, and will always remain a mystery to
the ego or human mind.

2.  "The adept is the rare efflorenscence of a generation of
enquirers; and to become one, he must obey the inward impulse of
his soul irerrespective of the prudential considerations of
worldly science & sagacity."

As I have said many times, find your own Path, and then tread it
and damn the consequences.  This, unfortunately, is the only way
the spiritual path seems to work.  Prudence will not get you very
far.  Of course, prudence may the very Path that you want; if so
then by all means be prudent.  The letter goes on to say "It is
but with armed hand, and ready to either conquer or perish that
the modern mystic can hope to achieve his object." Most Adepts
recognize the possibility of the student failing in some way,
maybe even in their own death.  The theory is that even if you
die, your unfulfilled desire itself will carry over to another
life where you can begin anew (this, by the way, is exactly the
Tibetan view of reincarnation, desires not monads taking on new
bodies).  I have yet to see any TS espouse or even endorse this
hard-nose view of Adeptship, yet here it is, from the Mahatmas
themselves.  Of course, the TSs are not training grounds for
Adepts, either.  Yet one would think that the theory itself could
be more openly discussed.  Ah well, where is Alan's quiet room
when you really need it?

          Jerry S.