Theosophy and sex; some thoughts

Mar 27, 1995 02:27 PM
by euser

Bazzer quotes from the ~Voice of the Silence~ about lust.

Some comments seem useful.  I give my opinion as usual and
include some facts that I find useful to consider.

1.  Although I tend to agree with HPB's statement, it should not
be supposed that by suppressing own's inner desires for sex one
actually is a celibate! The mere desire classifies you as no real
celibate.  One could easily delude oneself in this respect.

2.  Far more important than the issue of sex is the issue of
controlling one's emotions as to hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.
The effect of anger is far greater (on the inner planes) than the
desire for sex.  W.Q.  Judge has some valuable things to say on
this in his ~Culture of Concentration~ (also part of ~Echoes of
the Orient~, Vol.  I).

3.  Buddha, Gautama, was married when he was young and had a son
(Rahula?).  Later on he became a recluse.

4.  Many of the Theosophists who entered the Esoteric Section
during the days of W.Q.  Judge were single and entered the
married state after having met a like minded Theosophist in that
Section.  What does this suggest to you?

5.  The thought occurs to me that if two spiritually inclined
persons marry there will be a good possibility that they have
spiritually inclined children.  They would have much to offer to
their children, eg.  they could set a living example of how to
live life in a spiritual, inspired, way.

6.  Theosophy seems to have certain teachings on sex which are
hardly known to Theosophists themselves.  One of these, according
to DJP Kok, is that the act of procreation should be confined to
a certain period of the year, namely March, during the two week
period of the waxing moon..  Does anyone know more about this?

7.  In India it was a custom to many men to first raise a family
and later on in life, after having reached the age of fifty
years, to spend most or all of their time to religious study and
practice in ashram's (that is, for the spiritually inclined; of
course they spend some time to religious affairs before they
reached the age of 50) It seems difficult, however, to transplant
this custom to our Western societies.

In the SD mention is made to a certain practice among Sikhs (?)
consulting an astrologist as to what time was appropriate for the
act of procreation in order to have strong, healthy, children.
None of this astrological knowledge seems to be known in the
West.  Any comments??

   Martin Euser