Re: Achieving Our Potential

Mar 27, 1995 09:39 AM
by Lewis Lucas

Eldon,

One difference between theos-l and a class or study group we
might attend in person is the lack of a moderator who can draw
out those who haven't expressed a point of view, or who can
redirect the discussion if it wanders to far off topic, or
politely ask one member who is dominating the discussion group to
give others an opportunity to speak.

I don't think John Mead acts in this way, or is expected to by
us.  I am not even sure it is possible.  I agree with you that it
is more like a magazine full of articles, some of which we choose
to skip over.  Yet is a magazine without an editor.  That can be
good for wide open free flowing exchange of ideas.  It can be
difficult to follow any one string/topic and doesn't offer any
mechanism to draw out the quiet ones.

The attempts to study the kaballah or the Mahatma letters will be
instructive as to techniques/methods which may need to be
developed that differ from those of an open discussion list.
This reminds a little of the age old debate in lodges for/against
members meetings, which were exclusive of the general public.
Some members arguing the need to be able to go deeper into the
subject required excluding newcomers so the rest could continue
on and not have to offer a rehash to get new people of to speed.

Correspondence courses allow individuals to study a topic with an
instructor.  It would be very difficult for a student to have to
deal with 3 or 4 different instructors, especially if the
instructors disagree among themselves on the topic.

Perhaps a method will evolve out of the discussion group of
dealing with some of these issues.  Suggestions?

Lewis
llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu