RE: Bazzer on LCC

Mar 26, 1995 02:43 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

> I have been a member of the Liberal Catholic Church for over 20
years.  I have also done some study of the history of the church
and its early years, but I have never heard anything like what
you posted.  What you be willing to give a fuller explanation of
the above paragraph?

> Thank you,
> Ann Bermingham

I believe I still have somewhere a copy of the original LCC
Liturgy issued in 1918.  The cover originally had a sticker
describing it as an LCC publication, but underneath was its
original cover as an Old Catholic Church liturgy and publication.
Wedgwood seems to have been the leading light in the LCC
formation, and all of them at the 1918 formation period appear to
have been theosophists, though as Ann will know, this is no
longer the case.  Bazzer's assertion about CWL is very strange,
considering that CWL was a Liberal Catholic bishop and a leading
Theosophist *at the same time*.

I have had many friends among LCC clergy over the years, and a
few decidedly "not-friends" since the publication of my 1985
"Bishops Irregular" and its 1989 supplement.  One LCC priest
introduced me to Co-Freemasonry and indirectly into TS membership
[although I began theosophical studies in 1956].

What worried me about Bazzer's post on this was the use of the
word "Opposition" with a capital "O" - as if there were some kind
of *conspiracy* to overthrow theosophy (especially the HPB kind).
>From the history of the Society, it seems to be pretty good at
plotting to overthrow itself .  .  .

Is Bazzer I wonder introducing the EVIL ONE into all this? Smacks
of Christian Fundamentalism to me.

Alan