Re: to: Nicholas & Bazzer

Mar 25, 1995 05:52 PM
by Paul Gillingwater

bazzer@pavilion.co.uk (Bazzer) writes:

> If one is not mistaken HPB raises the matter somewhere to the
> effect that the man or woman of the world is better off being
> married than not.

One is not.  :-) Personal experience has taught me that when I
was single, I was essentially selfish -- thinking only of my own
comfort and needs.  Since 5 years of marriage, I have learned to
be a little less selfish, thinking not only of my partner's needs
and feelings but also those of others.

Another benefit of marriage is the support and guidance one
receives that can help to prevent one's more mystical states
ending up driving one loopy.  It's nice to have a firm anchor to
reality, a reminder that bills are due and common sense must be
applied.

I don't want to imply that the one in a partnership who "anchors"
is any less spiritual, nor that these are fixed roles -- in fact,
I think they change in a dynamic energy relationship.  Sometimes
I'm the anchor.

The bottom line I guess is that when engaged in the quest for the
Path, any fellow-Pilgrims are extremely helpful -- and to me, one
of the benefits of this mailing list is that it represents a high
concentration of such Pilgrim souls, representing different
viewpoints, ages and ethnic backgrounds, in which the joint work
of practical theosophy may be pursued in an atmosphere of
acceptance and tolerance.  Despite occasional friction, the
important part is TO NEVER GIVE UP, and learn to better
understand each others' points of view.

Paul Gillingwater