Re: The Art of HPB

Mar 25, 1995 07:16 AM
by Bazzer

> > > From many accounts her virginity was just another of her many
> > >"myths".
> >
> > Celibacy is a cin qua non for Practical Occultism (these are the
> > basics any theosophist should know and understand).  HPB was a
> > practical/practicing Occultist.  Her virginity was proven by
> > medical examination.  It was physically impossible for her to be
> > otherwise after an 'accident' she had falling from a horse at an
> > early age.
>

>Good grief.  I think you mean sine qua non.  Suddenly we are
>seeing Dogmatic Theosophy on theos-l.  Not a pretty sight.

"The aspirant has to choose absolutely between the life of the
world and the life of Occultism.  It is useless and vain to
endeavour to unite the two, for no one can serve two masters and
satisfy both.  No one can serve his body and the higher Soul, and
do his family duty and his universal duty, without depriving
either one or the other of its rights; for he will either lend
his ear to the 'still small voice' and fail to hear the cries of
his little ones, or, he will listen but to the wants of the
latter and remain deaf to the voice of Humanity.  It would be a
ceaseless, a maddening struggle for amost any married man, who
would persue *true* practical Occultism, instead of its
*theoretical* philosophy.  For he would find himself ever
hesitating between the voice of the impersonal divine love of
Humanity, and that of the personal, terrestrial love.  And this
could only lead him to fail in one or other, or perhaps in both
his duties.  Worse than this.  For, *whoever indulges after
having pledged himself to OCCULTISM in the gratification of a
terrestrial love or lust*, must feel an almost immediate result;
that of being irresistibly dragged from the impersonal divine
state down to the lower plane of matter.  Sensual or even mental
self-gratification, invloves the immediate loss of the powers of
spiritual discernment; the voice of the MASTER can no longer be
distinguished from that of one's passions *or even that of a
Dugpa*; the right from wrong; sound morality from mere
casuistry".

Extract from: "Occultism versus the Occult Arts" by HPB

"During human life the greatest impediment in the way of
spiritual development, and especially the acquirement of *Yoga*
powers, is the activity of our physiological senses.  Sexual
action being closely connected, by interaction, with the spinal
cord and grey matter of the brain, it is useless to give any
longer explanation".

"The Secret Doctrine", II, 296