Re: The Art of HPB

Mar 24, 1995 10:35 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Keith Price:

> TO ALL: No one's ideas are ever really changed by argument about
> things that are abstract and out of reach.  All this talk about
> the Master reminds me of the great debate about how many angels
> could sit on the head of pin? I would rather be an angel (big,
> big grin).

But-- there's nothing abstract and out of reach about it IMO.

I think that you like most of us are thinking of the verb "to
matter" as if it makes sense objectively.  But things only matter
TO PEOPLE.  It would be totally stupid for me to say "kayaks
matter, reading books in French matters, watching TV shows about
critters matters, BUT sports on TV doesn't matter, genre novels
don't matter, popular music doesn't matter." These are simply
personal tastes and interests that matter TO ME, (or don't)-- not
objective realities about which you and I can meaningfully argue.

So my book doesn't matter to you, or Alan, or Ann.  Fine.  It
will only matter to 3,000 people in the whole world, by SUNY's
estimate of sales potential.  Several of them are on theos-l, but
I don't think they'd want to argue "it does too matter" as if it
mattered to EVERYONE.  Let's just agree to disagree about what
matters to us, rather than make sweeping proclamations.  When
you've devoted many years of your life to something that matters
to you very much, how do you feel when someone loftily announces
that it "doesn't matter"? It may not matter to him or her, but
hey-- let's live and let live and stop dissing.  Namaste