The Art of HPB

Mar 24, 1995 08:44 AM
by Keith Price

The art of HPB may very well be that she created the masters from
her outter teachers (real people including Europeans like Paul
suggets) and inner archetypes like Art suggests.  And she created
a giant stage (the world) to play out her drama.  I don't remeber
the heydays of theosophy when our numbers where trully amazing
and growing, but she did what she had to do and I don't blame
her.  How may actors and actresses have had to lie on the real or
metaphorical casting couch? From many accounts her virginity was
just another of her many "myths".

TO ART: I think we are in basic agreement (so what :) grins).
The idea of course is not to agree.  I had held back this post
trying to be a kinder gentler theosophists, but all the dense
sometime hateful gush about the historical reality of the Masters
got on my last nerve.  Paul says we need to research the
historical reality, but I don' think this will help Harvard and
Cambridge to take HPB more seriously and would probably do the
opposite since the emphasis nowadays is on cold rationalism and
scientific research in academia and not on philisophical or moral
(oh hated and politically incorrect word) issues.

Someone has talked about the four M's of a spiritual movement.
First you have the message, then the man (or woman in this case),
then the active movement, then the dead monument.  We seem to be
moving into polishing the monment rather that living the movement
(in my very humble opinion).

I like your ideas about the archtypes being really beyond
internal or external and that we can only know them directly or
better for short periods of time (this to me is more likely as I
have said) through the ARTS like kabala, tarot, astrology,
meditation, active compassion, love, the fine arts and magic
(white and black).

T0 JERRY: I think your ideas about Kolhberg have definite
application to the issues at hand.  Yes, little encouragement is
given to crossing the abyss or going beyond good and evil.  The
danger is great look what happened to Nietcshe and Nazi Germany.
Sometimes the ends don't justify the means BIGTIME.  But this
shouldn't stop us, I think.  Zen also seems to point to this as
enlightenment allows one to act spontaneously and intuitvely
because one is aware and had access to the power of the
archetypes in everyday life.  Which brings us to the path of
crossing over to the archtypes for real and not just as a
scholarly game.

TO ALAN: I am struck by reviewing kabalah that the paths between
the sephiroth capture my imagination as they point not to the
existence and qualities of the archetypes but to the
RELATIONSHIPS between and paths upward or downward and the
multiple interactions possible between them.  The aspects in
astrology also point to the importance of realtionships

TO ALL: No one's ideas are ever really changed by argument about
things that are abstract and out of reach.  All this talk about
the Master reminds me of the great debate about how many angels
could sit on the head of pin? I would rather be an angel (big,
big grin).

Everybody is really namaste-ing each other these days,

Namste
Keith Price