Re: Comments on the flaming of Paul's book

Mar 21, 1995 04:15 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <950322192255_76400.1474_HHL26-1@CompuServe.COM>
theos-l@vnet.net writes:

You just hit a nerve John. <snips>
> We have all heard a lot about where Paul was wrong, but nothing
> about what really did happen or who the real Masters were (which
> no one knows with certainty, but at least Paul J took a
> reasonable stab at it).

>            Jerry S.

One associate of mine is _convinced_ (He's away right now, but I
will ask for backup :-)) that HPB wrote (most of?) the Mahatma
Letters to Sinnet.  THe argument is, if I recall correctly, that
no one would have taken notice of the writings of an obscure
Russian woman in the 1870s, however wise she was, or however much
she had to offer the world (which was quite a lot!).  By doing it
this way (the argument runs) she got her hearing in a man's world
and found an honorable place in it as well.

No flames please - I am reporting someone else's views, but
someone who is well versed in theosophical history as well.  I
will try to get him to write something up to offer backup for his
views and post the same to the list (or lists, as appropriate).

My reason for, if you like, "jumping the gun" on this one is that
I too have wondered what all this is supposed to be about, and I
STILL am firmly convinced that it not who the Masters (or anyone
else) _really_ were or are that matters, but whether of not *what
was written is worth taking seriously*.  It was, it is, and will
remain so.  _Theosophia_ is divine wisdom whoever writes it down.

[Goes to quiet room to gibber quietly alone]

Alan