ML #1 comments

Mar 15, 1995 07:29 PM
by Nicholas Weeks

"the world is yet in its first *stage* of disenthralment if not
development"

This phrase has always attracted me.  We think are always
progressing, up, up, and away.  But the Brothers see us needing
to see through some illusions *before* we develop.  A few more
lines down mention is made of the "dark agencies" that much of
mankind then (and now) believed in.  So perhaps the first step is
to get beyond the mist of external demons and, by implication,
external gods.  We are the Angel/Demon.  As long as we think of
ourselves as puppets of the environment, whether physical,
psychic or spiritual, we will remain such.  Of course the whole
external/internal split is ultimately false, but we learn in
stages.

"Madmen are they, who, speculating but upon the present, wilfully
shut their eyes to the past when made already to remain naturally
blind to the future!"

Certainly sounds like encouragement to pay more attention to
history, whether mystic, cultural, intellectual or theosophical.
Our fondness for this present time may correspond to our even
greater attachment to our present personalities of this lifetime.

More later.

Nicholas