Letter X

Mar 14, 1995 05:13 PM
by Keith Price

Last night I read ML X and the proem to the SD.  I was struck by
the difference in perspective or "maturity" or something.  The SD
seems in advance of the ML (IMHO).  Very strange wouldn't you
say?

My edition says the letter was recieved at Simla 1881 - ? '82.
The SD was written after this, right? If the Masters where in
advance of HPB and her teachers, why does she sound better than
them? Maybe they were letting out more to her later on or all
that kind of thing (armchair quaterbacking is a wonder ful thing
:))?

I think a real study could be done on the evolution of 19th
century theosophy from the ML, through Isis to the SD.  Maybe
someone has done it.  It seems like ideas are evolving not
emerging full blown from the minds of the Masters.

The Master states that two thirds of the problem of evil concerns
the sacerdotal caste, the priesthood and the churches.  The
problem of evil for who? Today the priesthood has almost no
power, at least over me, but I feel the effects of "evil" anyway
from disease, old age, cancer.  loss of loved ones, war, poverty
etc.

The Master writes: "It is belief in God or Gods that makes
two-thirds of humanity the slaves of a handful of those who make
a false pretense of saving them?"

Does anyone hear echoes of Nietsche and his resentment of
Christianity as a kind of castration of man's nobility? Do you
hear his ideas on religion as in destroying the altar of the
false gods (echoed directly in Letter X) as related in
Gotzendamerung et al? Of course Nietsche wasn't famous in his on
time, but the ideas were in the air, I'm sure.

Would anyone care to comment on "phlogiston"? It seem to be the
essence of the 7th state, something like Fohat that connects
subject to object and links the syzygies (this is my wild
guess!).

The Master seems to reiterate the idea that evil has no reality,
it is just karmic effects.  However we seem to have a receiver
set (brain) that percieves the maya of evil.  The knowlege of
good and evil is what sets us apart from the lower kingdoms
(according to many traditions) and makes us "in His image".  Oh
divine (?) paradox!

The Kabala may have something to say on this, right Alan or
Jerry? I don't mean to sound negative all the time.  I think it
could be very interesting studying the Kabala with the Mahatama
Letters.

Namaste

Keith Price