Christian Indians

Mar 10, 1995 07:59 PM
by LieselFD

K.Paul was talking about HPB & the early Theosophists trying to stem
the tide of the British turning Indians into Christians.  During part
of my working life, I was stationed in a North Jersey town which had a
fairly sized group of Indian immigrants.  They were often
professionals, looking to get a start in this country.  Of course, with
an Indian coming to my desk, my first thought was to ask whether they
could chant Gayatry.  Of all the ones I asked, there was one, and he
was enchanted that I knew it too.  All the others looked at me as if I
had somehow just landed here from outer space.  They were Christian.

Liesel