Corrections-ADN

Mar 09, 1995 01:36 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

I found my section on Alexandra David-Neel on the hard drive,
and thus can correct my earlier post.

The Supreme Gnosis, an occult group to which ADN belonged, was
in London, not Paris, and she spent some time there in 1887,
during which she may have met HPB and the London TS.  But she
didn't join the TS until 1889 after returning to Paris (not 91
after HPB died.)  She joined Lady Caithness's lodge.  In 1891-2
she spent time in India including Adyar, where she was for a
longer period in 1911.  She had become involved with the
entourage of Anagarika Dharmapala in 1906 in London, and in
1912 met the Maharaja of Sikkim, who sponsored her studies and
travels for a time.  Thenceforth her interest was almost
exclusively in Mahayana Buddhism.