the name of God

Mar 04, 1995 09:27 PM
by LieselFD

I'm not a Hebrew scholar, but I know about a few things Jewish,
that being my heritage.

Just like Sarah, I have been told too that Yahweh is not the real
name of God, but that it is somehow hidden in YHWH.

Alan, the Hebrew-English Lexicon you consult was written by
Christian scholars.  I'd think that one compiled by Jews would be
more accurate & to the point.

Same thing goes for the King James Version of the Bible.  We in
America have a number of newer translations of the Bible, some by
Christians, some by Jews, because the King James Bible was
translated from the Greek, not from the original Hebrew, & is not
considered to be very accurate any more.  Sorry 'bout that.

I myself own a very beautiful 5 Books of Moses, translated by
Rabbi Arieh Kaplan.  It has Hebrew on 1 side & English on the
other.  Kaplan was modern enough to have drawings, & a great
plethora of footnotes, in which he explains what the different
passages could possibly mean besides the meaning he gave it.  He
died in an accident about 10 years ago, while still in his 40ies,
otherwise he would probably have gotten around to translating the
entire Old Testament.  I'd think a Jewish man who grew up with
English & Hebrew as his languages, passed down from a long
succession of Jews, would be a most accurate translator of the
Bible.  But there are any number of other modern Bible
translations, & they all try to be more true to the original than
the King James version, venerable as it is.

Sorry to have to tell ya, old bean, but...

Liesel