Bk of Dyzan/Lovecraft followup(fwd)

Feb 17, 1995 10:53 AM
by John Mead

hi --

here are more details from Daniel.

peace -

john mead

> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 12:16:24 -0600 (CST)
> From: ROLAND FRANKLYN <HARMSDM@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu>
> Subject: Re: Theosophy

John,

Thanks for your offer of help.

The quote I cited doesn't really come from any of HPL's stories,
but from his letters.  In one of these, Lovecraft is asking his
friend E.  Hoffman Price for information on a myth-cycle
including Shamballah and the Book of Dzyan.  In a later letter he
mentions the information Price sent him, which indicates that the
Book of Dzyan was brought to earth by the Lords of Venus and is
kept at the city of Shamballah.  The problem is that the
_Selected Letters_ volumes only give Lovecraft's side of the
correspondence, and I have no idea of where to find the E.
Hoffman Price letter, much less the money and time to go to see
it even if I did.  The information seems to be pretty much
Blavatsky-inspired, but there are some parts which I still can't
find.  Price avowed that this was part of an actual myth-cycle in
some part of the world, and from what I've read about him, he
doesn't seem the type to make something up to mislead Lovecraft.

Anyway, enough of my babbling.  If you find out anything, please
let me know.

Daniel

P.S.  In _HPB_, the author mentions a scholar who did some work
on this sort of thing.  I can't remember his name right now,
though.