Re: On Our Written Literature

Jan 28, 1995 02:44 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <950128001132_1751155@aol.com> theos-l@vnet.net writes:

> A suggestion re editing HPB
>
> When I read Chaucer in high school, I read the original, & what
> was hard to understand was translated and/or explained in
> footnotes.  That way I got Chaucer in the original, & if needed,
> could consult the footnotes for better understanding.  Why can't
> we do the same with HPB? It's done with "The Voice of The
> Silence".  I wouldn't know what Migmar was, unless I had the
> fotnote.
>
> Liesel

It's a d*** sight easier without footnotes [or even fotnotes].
Some might like to consider the *abridged* edition of the SD
which exists, and often the first look into HPB for some of
lesser courage.  Don't get me wrong - I have actually read most
of the SD, and all of Isis Unveiled - from which I got the most,
BTW. In an abridged edition, who do we flame (no doubt in this
case via a spiritualist medium) about their choice of omissions?

If anyone wants to remove the many tirades against sundry
professors in the SD, I for one won't mind. :-)

I first ran study groups in Kabbalah [then written Qabalah, as
the 'magicians' write it now] in 1958.  The first book students
were told was mandatory reading - if they wanted to get anywhere,
was ~First Principles of Theosophy~ by Jinarajadasa.  Still, IMO,
the best intro to modern theosophy that there is.  Sadly this is
not kept regularly in print - so if you're reading this in your
silence at Wheaton, maybe you could get Quest to republish?

Come on, Wheaton, we know you are lurking somehere on the list, as
theos@netcom.com is in the list of subscribers - how about some
input?

"Gad, Sir, this means chakras at dawn!"

What's Migmar?